Tuesday, December 06, 2005

mypeerpressurespace

I hate joining internet trends after they are already trends. For instance, I started using livejournal before most people had even heard of livejournal, so that was never a problem for me. I switched to blogger merely because my old livejournal had way too much personal information for me to post it on my company website (side note: originally the idea was that I was only going to use this blog to talk about movies and stuff; using two blogs became tiresome, so now you get me posting about pretzels for absolutely no other reason than that I happen to be thinking about pretzels at the moment), so I don't feel the switch to blogger was a trendy thing. However, I recently signed up for myspace, and I will admit it, I did so purely because everyone else was doing it.

I have jumped off the virtual bridge because my friends jumped first. I am now no better than anyone who ever bought a Britney Spears album. I have not committed such a crime of fashion since I bought Collective Soul's HINTS, ALLEGATIONS, AND THINGS LEFT UNSAID. That's how long it has been since I did something purely because it was the thing to do. It took me a long time to get over that, and as penance, I've been wearing plaid button-down shirts since high school. But joining myspace has me once again questioning my moral fabric. Who am I? Why am I here? What are my favorite movies? At least these are the questions I had to answer in order to update my myspace profile.

It is too late for me. I have reached the point of no return with myspace. I have 76 friends and 620 profile views already. The question now is whether or not I can avoid slipping even further into the peer pressure whirlwind. For weeks, my(space) friends and I agreed that music on profiles was annoying, but now slowly they have changed their minds. More and more of their profiles have songs on them, and now a little part of me wants to add a song to my profile. Can I resist? Currently, I am protected by my ignorance. I do not know how to add a song to my myspace profile, and as long as I don't ask Angelyn to explain it to me, I'm in the clear.

You can visit my myspace profile @ http://www.myspace.com/candlefishpictures

2 comments:

  1. *sigh* It's amazing what a combination of peer pressure and boredom can do. Although I originally created a myspace profile so that I could look at all my friend's pictures online, I have since completely succumb to the myspace heroin feed. What can I say? Mostly just 'oh well'.

    P.S. my word verification today was "flrog" that is a cool word. We should add it to our everyday vernacular. (ex: What the flrog are you flrogging about!?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey, I think we're on to something! A Word-Verification of the Day Calendar! We'll make flrogging millions!

    Hey, to leave a comment on my own blog, I too must pass the word verification gauntlet. My word is "smenita." How's this for vernacular usage: "He flrogged her in the smenita, and to her surprise, she kinda liked it."

    ReplyDelete