Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Love and Car Theft

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Baby, you can drive my car / Yes, I'm gonna be a star / Baby, you can drive my car / And maybe I'll love you / Beep-beep / Beep-beep / Yeah." - Lennon/McCartney


On January 1st, 2007, my wife Angelyn and I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary. As usual, we kept to a low key celebration, modest gifts, and time spent together. Since this was our "Linen" anniversary, we bought each other bedding. She took the sheets. I took the pillow cases. We lunched at an Irish pub because apparently linens have something to do with the Irish, or at least Angelyn made some kind of argument to that end. We bought a couple of CDs, including the fantastic soundtrack to The Beatles' new Las Vegas Cirque du Soleil show, "Love." Not sure how to top off such a pleasant day spent engaged in life's simple pleasures, we decided to add a little spice by living dangerously: we parked our car in our driveway.

Yes, I know many of you never would have made such a gamble, but I mean, come on, we're only young once. Angelyn and I are both 26 now, and soon, we will have to start acting like responsible adults. So we figured, what the hell. Let's throw caution to the wind and park our car in the driveway, right there in the open, for the whole neighborhood to see.

Our little gamble paid off when at about 12:20am this morning, Angelyn heard the engine of our '96 Honda Accord roar to life. By the time we opened the front door, the car I've driven since high school had disappeared. Again. Now we were having some real edgy fun.

You see, this is the second time in two years that my Honda has been stolen out of our driveway. The first time someone stole the car, we didn't discover the theft until daylight, and by the time we called 9-1-1, someone had already found the car abandoned about four blocks away. This time, however, the car has still not turned up, and it may be safe to say that after a decade of good times, I'll never see that piece-of-shit car again. What I really hope is that the Honda gets to go out in a blaze of glory. Like maybe the faulty brakes will finally give out completely and send the thief flying off the Turnpike into a gasoline truck, or something fun like that.

This year, I've decided to commit to blogging everyday if at all possible, and I'm also going to take a "picture of the day" and post it here each day to help me meet my New Year's resolution of taking more photographs. So here's Picture of the Day #1, something I call "Car Theft in B Flat."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Happy New Year to all, and remember to keep those Hondas out of the driveway.

No comments:

Post a Comment