Friday, February 04, 2005

UCF Philosophy Department Presents SACRED TEXT, SACRED FILM?

Responsible Interpretation of Scriptures in Film and Popular Media

Since high school, I have had maybe six mentors who have had a tremendous impact on my writing. Of those six, all but one were either English or Creative Writing teachers. The odd man out was Dr. Timothy Johnson, Professor of Religion at Flagler College, and I may have him to thank more than anyone else for my obsession with clean prose.

It is for this reason that I'm very excited to promote April's "SACRED TEXT, SACRED FILM?" conference at UCF, where Dr. Johnson (whom I have not seen since just after my graduation from Flagler) will be presenting a paper. I wish I had thought to ask him the title of his paper. I'm sure that information will be posted soon on the conference web site. In any case, I can't wait to learn more about this conference, and I hope it is properly advertised by the University. UCF has a habit of poorly promoting some of its best events. At least as the time approaches, I will do my best to help get the word out.

No comments:

Post a Comment