Saturday, December 18, 2004

Casting Begins For "MELISSA"; SPANGLISH and THE LIFE AQUATIC Reviewed

So it is official, my next project will be "MELISSA WITH A HEART AROUND IT," and I've already posted the casting notices. I'm looking forward to this project, though it will be a challenge on the budget I have available to me.

Saw THE LIFE AQUATIC WITH STEVE ZISSOU last night, and it's a wonderful film. Unfortunately, it opens nationally against THE AVIATOR, which is an even better film, so unless you're planning on seeing a double feature on Christmas, LIFE AQUATIC may get pummelled.

The opening of the film is very awkward and dull, which is unfortunate. Anderson's other films have always pulled me right in. In any case, it picks up strong after that, and it may be the funniest film I've seen all year.

Saw SPANGLISH tonight. Much better than I was expecting. It was particularly fresh to see a film that isn't about doing what feels good. I love the treatment of responsibility, commitment, and love as work. Well done. Great acting all from the adult cast, though the children leave much to be desired. Not a perfect film by any means, but it will make you appreciate the special someone in your life all the more.

Sorry for these lousy half-assed reviews. I'm tired and I'm taking Angelyn to the Magic Kingdom tomorrow for her birthday, so I really need to get to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment